Aspie adventures....female style

Doing my best to enjoy parenting a teenage daughter with Asperger's Syndrome.

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Horse-ing Around


Some of you may be following our search for a horse for E.....it has turned into quite the soap opera....let's see ...we'll call it.... One Lie to Live.....that sounds about right.

Scene 1: (Laurie, dressed casually, is on the phone with a possible lead)
Laurie: Thank you so much for calling me back! I am looking for a horse for my daughter...she is 14 and a beginner. Does your horse do well with beginners?
Nameless Lying Owner: Oh yes!! This horse was raised around children. My 3 year old rides this horse. I let her run unsupervised into the pasture and hang for hours on it's neck and the horse just stands there.
Laurie: Wow! That sounds like just the horse we are looking for. What about their health? Any health issues?
Nameless Lying Owner: Heavens NO! We never had any issues with this horse.
Laurie: That's great. Do you think we could come out and ride it today?
Nameless Lying Owner: Sure. I am about 45 minutes from where you are.
Laurie: Great! We will see you soon.
(Cut to Laurie aimlessly wandering back roads, narrowly missing being rear-ended during a poorly timed left turn.....and struggling to find the "second stop light after the bridge" when there is neither a bridge or a stop light. Finally she arrives at the "destination" (1 hr 48 min and $32.79 in gas)....a mobile home tied to a steep hillside with some good strong rope....4 horses are perched to the jagged rocky crags below the house like mountain goats. The buckskin's ears are pinned back against his head as if with super glue, the pony looks like the letter U....and the Appoloosa is covered with scabs and sores. )
Nameless Lying Owner: Hi! I am glad you made it. Were the directions good?
Laurie: Just fine (if you don't count the 3 u-turns and the 2 times I called my friend to look it up on Mapquest)
Nameless Lying Owner: Well, this is Appy and Bucky and as you can see they are...... (exactly the opposite of what I told you on the phone 2 hours ago when you left).......just like I said...great for kids and in perfect health.
Laurie: Hmmmmm, the appoloosa is covered with sores.
Nameless Lying Owner: Oh that is totally normal. I have had the vet look at her and he said she is just fine. We don't even have to put anything on them. You can call him if you would like. His name is.....
Dr. Vrummmlishmsner....I don't have his number with me but it's in the phone book.
Laurie: And Bucky has his ears back a lot.
Nameless Lying Owner: Oh he does that all the time but he has never done anything. I guess he just likes to make funny faces is all.
Laurie: Well, you said we could ride them. Where would we do that? (camera pans to the sheer cliffs)
Nameless Lying Owner: Oh right! I wouldn't be able to do that until next weekend because I would have to haul them to a riding arena and I have to work every day this week.
(Camera focuses on Laurie, her eyes wide and expression blank)
Laurie: Okeeeeeee. Unfortunatley I can't buy the horse until after I have ridden it. (DUH!!!!!!!!!)
Nameless Lying Owner: I totally understand, but just to let you know I have 17 other people coming to look at them today and I can't promise they will still be here.

Tune in tomorrow when we find J in the hospital after the rocks give way underneath his feet and in an effort to save himself he reaches for the fence where he receives and enormous shock which spooks Bucky causing him to rare and send E tumbling down to the ledge below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Online College Degree