Aspie adventures....female style

Doing my best to enjoy parenting a teenage daughter with Asperger's Syndrome.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Flippin for ya

Something big happened today! My daughter rolled over. Well not really rolled over, she flipped over. Yes, she is 14 and we are so excited! Now if we could just get her to sleep through the night.
Our daughter, along with most aspie kids, has horrible sleep patterns. Put that together with some anxiety and that makes for many nights on the couch just down the hall from our room. At first I was going to do what all the parenting books told me to do and force her to sleep in her bed....but without going into all the side effects of sleep deprivation, (which can be quite nasty), I think it was the night that all the trees in our backyard were chasing me, I gave in.
And so it began. It was slow at first. So slow that without time lapse photography you wouldn't have noticed. Then I sat across from that couch that was giving it's life so I could sleep. The cushions were no longer beautifully symetrical. To look directly at it you would think the house was listing sharply to the right. The only way she could be saved is if my daughter flipped over and laid with her head at the other end. YA RIGHT! CHANGE? ARE YOU JOKING?
So without even the slightest hope, less than that actually, I blurted out the question......"Hey hon, when you sleep in the couch could you lay the other direction? That cushion is begining to look a lot like you from the back." (Oh ya, I also asked the moon to set in the east)
So today began like any other day and I stumbled out for a cup of coffee. Like a "fembot" ( I threw that in there for those in the over 40 set) I reached, poured, turned and shuffled back to my room. My husband emerged from the shower and I said without thinking "She is asleep on the couch again but she's laying the other way." WAIT A MINUTE........SHE'S LAYING THE OTHER WAY! Our joy became unbridled! "She loves us!" we shouted in our loudest whisper. This was huge. We are still riding the buzz. If that isn't love I don't know what is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Online College Degree